The town of Troy, Nebraska was established in 1874 by Back Berry and Harry Spindler, on a level spot about one-half mile west on the Niobrara River bottom and near where the Eagle Creek/Little Platte Creek empties into it. The pure, soft, spring water was the most valuable asset of this settlement. The sloping shores blended into the level fertile prairie covered with many stands of oak, cedar, elm, cottonwood, basswood, box elder and other trees. For several years the names of the stream, Little Platte and Eagle Creek, were used interchangeably before Eagle Creek became its official name – a name it still carries to this day.
It wasn’t long before J. T. Prouty accompanied by a number of other hardy, pioneer families joined the Berry and Spindler families in their new settlement, which was located 40 to 50 miles upriver from the town of Niobrara, Nebraska located on the Missouri River. As the population of the town increased, a town board was organized. Officers elected were: President, William P. Berry, Secretary, Clinton Santee, and Treasurer, Wm. Astelford. Pleased that they had discovered such a pleasant town site surrounded by the magnificent country, they began making plans for the coming spring and the arrival of at least twenty-five more families. The first item on the agenda was the building and operation of a general store. Next, in the spring, would be a gristmill and a sawmill. S. J. Hoyt, proprietor of the Niobrara sawmill, began work on a mill dam for the town of Troy. In January he reported work on the mill dam was progressing and hopefully would be in operation by spring. Other plans included improvements to the town. With proper care every street in town would be supplied with shade trees watered by the large spring on the bluffs, plus a sufficient supply of water for fire protection. The city fathers eagerly looked forward to a prosperous and beautiful city in the near future.
By Marita Placek
Read the entire story in the latest edition of Living Here magazine.
Order yours today! 888-673-1081