Eastern Nebraska and South Dakota are dotted with beautiful retreat spots for spiritual reflection and renewal but just across the Missouri River, among the bluffs of Northeast Sioux City, Iowa sits Trinity Heights.
To understand how Trinity Heights came to be let’s take a look at the history of the area. In 1912, when the Franciscan order came to Sioux City, they purchased a large tract of land on the northern edge of town and built a school complete with administrative offices, dormitories for staff and students, classrooms, a gymnasium and swimming pool. The original buildings housed and educated young men through their high school and college years until 1949. After the school closed it was used by the Salvatorian order as a minor seminary from 1958 to 1967 after which it was closed for good as a school. Over 2000 boys graduated high school and approximately 500 graduated college from Trinity.
By Carol Rempp
Read the entire story in the latest edition of Living Here magazine.
Order yours today! 888-673-1081
Leave a Reply.